Monday, September 29, 2008

Banned Books Week (Sept 27-Oct 4)

Celebrate your freedom to read during Banned Books Week 2008. Some of the most profound and inspiring works of literature have faced challenges to their access from groups or individuals who have felt threatened by their content. How many have you read? Check out this list of the 100 Most-Banned or Challenged Books from 2000-2007 produced by the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom. I will admit that I have read many banned books in my day. (When I was growing up my mother would seek them out for her children to read and discuss!)

Of related interest, do save the date to see Judy Blume speak during the Wisconsin Book Festival! She is scheduled to speak Wednesday, October 15 at the Memorial Union Theater (7:30-9:00 PM). Tickets will be required for this event. Free tickets to the lecture can be picked up from the Wisconsin Union Theater box office. (Limit: two tickets per person).

No comments: