Monday, March 02, 2009

Speak for the Trees

Today, March 2, would have been the 105th birthday of one of the most beloved among authors, Dr. Seuss (aka Theodor Geisel, 1904-1991).

And, in musing upon his enormous contribution to the canon of children's literature, I cannot help but think fondly of my favorite character amidst his work--the Lorax, whose message proves the most enduring, in light of our real world awareness of the price paid when immediate gain diminishes common sense, sustainable practice.

I was raised among people who planted trees, with one of my earliest memories being that of casting soil upon the roots of one planted for me. I saw the oaks that surrounded my home as benevolent, worldly creatures with which I would carry on conversations.

And, today, as then, the Lorax, in his attempts to defend his ecosystem, can move me to tears.

If you are so given to conversing on all things Seuss, do consult with your favorite librarian to locate one of the several biographies and critical works available in campus library collections.

Additionally, Steenbock Library has many titles devoted to arboriculture, biodiversity, forest ecology, and sustainability in its many aspects, among other topics. Again, consult with library staff for assistance locating these and more from the collections.

Do you have a favorite character from Dr. Seuss? If so, reply to this post.

1 comment:

Amanda Werhane said...

Definitely the Lorax!